Frequently Asked Questions

What crimes occur most often on campus?

  • The most common on-campus crime is theft of personal property (larceny), specifically property that is left unattended for any period of time.
    • UMPD encourages students, faculty, visitors, and all others on our campus to secure their belongings at all times and never leave them unattended.

How do I report a crime or emergency?

  • For life-threatening or other current emergencies, call 911. If it is on or very near campus, UMPD will respond immediately.
  • For non-emergencies, call UMPD at 305-284-6666 and have the following information ready, as best you are able:
    • The nature of the incident (i.e.; what happened or why you are requesting police assistance).
    • Where the event occurred and where you are presently located (not always the same).
    • Your name and phone number.
    • The time of occurrence of the incident.
    • If there are any injuries or if you require medical attention.
    • If any weapons or threats are involved.
    • Descriptions of any person(s) involved (i.e.; gender, race, hair color, eye color, height, weight, scars/tattoos, clothing, to the best of your perception).
    • Description of any vehicles involved (i.e.; license plate, color, make, model, year).
    • Direction of travel of anyone leaving the scene (whether on foot or in a vehicle).
    • If there are any witnesses, and if so, are they still on the scene.

What about a non-emergency?

  • Give us a call at 305-284-6666 or stop by the department in person on the first floor of Flipse Building. We are open 24/7.

I witnessed a crime or suspicious activity, what should I do?

  • Call UMPD at 305-284-6666 with the following information:
    • What is the nature of the incident?
    • Where did it occur?
    • Your name and phone number (anonymous calls are accepted).
    • Your location, if different from location of occurrence.
    • The time of occurrence.
    • If there are any injuries.
    • If any weapons are involved.
    • Number of people involved.
    • Descriptions of people involved (i.e.; gender, race, hair color, eye color, height, weight, scars/tattoos, clothing).
    • Description of any vehicles involved (i.e.; license plate, color, make, model, year).
    • Direction of travel of anyone leaving the scene on foot or in a vehicle.
    • If there are any witnesses, and if so, are they still on the scene.

How do I call a safety escort?

  • Call UMPD at 305-284-6666 or find the nearest blue light phone and press the button. When the dispatcher answers, ask for a safety escort.
  • Safety escorts are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, holidays and school breaks included.

How are drug and alcohol incidents handled at the University of Miami?

  • UMPD enforces all state and federal laws for prohibitive substances, including cannabis and underage consumption of alcohol. Prescription drugs possessed by someone without a prescription for it are considered illegal and that person is subject to arrest. UMPD will also direct any drug or alcohol related offenses to the Dean of Students Office for the student to go through the University Disciplinary Process.

My friend is unresponsive. What happens if I call 911?

  • Regardless of whether you were intoxicated or not, you may not face disciplinary action and your friend will receive reduced disciplinary action per our medical amnesty policy. If you or anyone you are with believes emergency assistance is necessary, call 911 immediately.

What is the campus weapons policy?

  • University policy and Florida state law prohibit the possession, control, or display of any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon, as defined by Florida Statute, while on the property of the University of Miami, including all on-campus housing. Individuals who possess a Florida state-issued or -recognized license to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms (commonly known as a Concealed Weapon or Firearm License) are not exempt; Florida state law explicitly states that a Concealed Carry Weapons Permit does not allow for weapons to be carried on any school property, public or private.

Can I carry pepper spray or an electric device on campus (such as a Taser)?

  • Per Florida State law, no weapon of any kind, including the above categories, are allowed on campus property.

I have been or know someone who has been sexually assaulted. What are my options?

  • Please access the Student Life It's On Us page for more information and resources.
  • For immediate assistance or support, either within or outside of normal business hours, you may call:
    • UMPD at 305-284-6666
    • The Sexual Assault Resource Team’s confidential 24-hour hotline at 305-798-6666

What is a blue light phone?

  • Blue Light phones are call stations that have a blue light visible nearby and that immediately connect you with UMPD, 24/7. You may report emergencies and non-emergencies or request a safety escort.

How do I report a car accident?

  • If anyone is injured, call 911.
  • For minor on-campus accidents, call UMPD at 306-284-6666. For accidents occurring close to campus, local police, e.g., Coral Gables PD, Miami-Dade County, or South Miami PD, may respond (depending upon where the accident actually occurred).
  • If your car was hit while parked on campus, DO NOT move your vehicle. Call UMPD immediately at 305-284-6666 to file a report.

I lost the keys\Cane Card to my room. What do I do?

  • Visit the McKnight Building and ask for a new Cane Card ASAP.
  • Report your previous Cane Card or keys lost immediately. If they were possibly stolen, make a police report ASAP.

How do I make a complaint against a University of Miami Police Department officer?

  • If you have a negative experience with a UMPD officer, you are urged to contact UMPD leadership 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling 305-284-6666 and asking for the sergeant on duty. Doing so will initiate the complaint process.

What do I do during a fire alarm?

  • Evacuate the building by stairs and exits only, every time.  Once outside, stay out and move away from the building to clear access for the fire department and other emergency responders. Do not re-enter the building until expressly advised that it is safe to do so by a Fire Department incident commander or University police officer.