S.A.F.E. Program

SAFE Class Group Picture

Self-Defense Awareness and Familiarization Exchange

Violent crimes are often crimes of opportunity; when you remove the element of opportunity, you reduce the risk of attack. 90% of self-defense is mental preparedness; the other 10% is physical.


Self-Defense Awareness & Familiarization Exchange (S.A.F.E.) is a 2.0-hour introduction to a self-defense program that provides women with risk awareness, risk reduction, and personal safety information, in addition to a few very basic physical defense techniques. While S.A.F.E. is not an in-depth self-defense program, it encompasses information on prevention, options, and strategies as well as some very basic physical defense technique instruction. S.A.F.E. is an excellent introduction to the Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.) program. The course is free for students/faculty/staff.

Attending S.A.F.E.

The University of Miami Police Department offers S.A.F.E. classes periodically throughout the year on the Coral Gables campus. Only students, faculty, and staff can participate. Participants MUST register for courses through the S.A.F.E. Course registration link below. National Self-Defense Institute (N.S.D.I.) Certified S.A.F.E. instructors teach all classes. Classes that fill up are removed on the registration link website.

Due to the on-going pandemic safety precautions are being taken to keep everyone safe. Two to three feet distance will be kept between all participants. The University of Miami is still monitoring the pandemic and classes may be cancelled. Attendees who registered for a class will be notified of cancellation by the email that was used to register.

For more information, please contact the Self-Defense Campus Program Coordinator at 305-284-1105.

Upcoming S.A.F.E. Sessions

  • Wednesday, February 28, 2024 6:00PM - 8:00PM (Women) 
  • Wednesday, April 10, 2024 6:00PM - 8:00PM  (Women) 
  • Wednesday, April 24, 2024 6:00PM - 8:00PM  (Women)

Click here to sign up!